ChangeMakers is a global citizenship project for students aged 14-18 and teachers. This is an exciting opportunity for young people to develop their skills as global citizens and for teachers to link global issues with current education priorities.
Who’s it for?
ChangeMakers is aimed at 14-18 year old students particularly those following the Welsh Baccalaureate programme and relevant GCSE and A Levels including Geography,
Textiles & Fashion and Economics. Any secondary school or FE college in Wales is welcome to apply.
For young people to learn about the global fashion industry and be empowered to contribute towards positive change by developing:
- knowledge and understanding of the environmental and human impacts of the clothing industry
- the ability to think critically about global issues
- the skills needed to initiate, plan and carry out positive action
- peer-education skills and the ability to apply their knowledge and skills
What support will the school / college receive?
- 4 half day sessions of support from ChangeMakers local partners to develop the students' understanding of issues linked to the fashion industry, peer-education and how to generate change.
- Phone and email support from the partners in between sessions and leading up to the conference.
- £700 funding from us to spend on organising a conference to raise awareness in your school / college. You will need to show proof of expenditure to us.
- Free whole school training for staff regarding ESDGC.
What will the school / college need to do?
Choose a named lead teacher for the project, plus gain the support of at least one member of
the school/college senior management team. The lead teacher will need to work with students
and teachers in between the support sessions from ChangeMakers partners and play an active role in monitoring the project's achievements and evaluating its impact.
- Get a focus group of 15-30 students to commit to at least four half days (possibly off timetable) from November 2014 to February 2015. They will also need to do some work on the project outside these sessions.
- Engage 15-35 teachers with the project, through the delivery (by the ChangeMakers
partners) of CPD/INSET sessions on ESDGC. This can include teachers outside your school/college.
If you have any further questions or enquiries, contact email@example.com
The ChangeMakers programme is supported by CEWC, Centre for Alternative Technology, Christian Aid, Fair Trade Wales and Oxfam Cymru.