Date(s) - 26/01/2022
9:30 am - 3:30 pm
What is MockCOP?
Each year, countries assemble to discuss strategies and suggestions for the world to tackle climate change. This has become known as the Conference of Parties or COP. Our Mock COP event gives pupils the opportunity to experience a Mock COP of their own and have a chance to join our Youth Climate Ambassadors Network, where young people work together with our experts to make their voices heard on climate change!
Each school will be assigned a country to research and represent on the day, and are then asked to send a delegation of three students to represent their country at the conference. During the event, they will propose resolutions and amendments and negotiate their country’s position.
MockCOP 2021 is open to pupils in Year 9-13.
This is a fantastic opportunity to deliver cross-curricular learning and develop ‘ethical informed citizens of Wales and the World’, while also supporting learners to make an impact on the crucial issue of climate change. Learners will:
- Develop knowledge of different nations and their perspectives
- Learn how international cooperation and the UN works
- Develop knowledge of global issues and how they are interlinked
- Build skills in speaking and listening, research, negotiation, conflict resolution and compromise
- Develop empathy and self-confidence
- Plan projects in their own schools and communities on climate change
MockCOP is a Size of Wales and Welsh Centre for International Affairs (WCIA) project funded by the ScottishPower Foundation and the Welsh Government.
This year, we are working with the Interclimate Network to develop fantastic new resources for schools to carry out their own in-school versions of a climate change summit. Find these resources on the WCIA website.