WCIA’s Global Action programme will be building from 2019-24 on foundations developed by the Heritage Lottery Funded Wales for Peace programme, which has explored Wales’ ‘Peace Heritage’ – our story of internationalist activism from WW1 to today:
- Building Wales’ ‘Peace Heritage’ narrative, exploring activism on 7 themes: Remembering War, Objecting to Conflict, Offering Sanctuary to Refugees, Championing Equality, Building Solidarity, Inspiring Future Generations, and Working Together.
- Supporting volunteers and communities Wales-wide to explore, share and inspire audiences with local ‘Hidden Histories’ of peace building fro WW1 to today
- Exploring, digitising and researching the Temple of Peace Archives and Collections for interpretation and future public access.
In addition to continuing to use heritage as a catalyst for reflecting on current international affairs, WCIA’s policy priorities for Global Action looking towards the future include:
- The new Curriculum for Wales, focusing on embedding global citizenship education in the curriculum and statutory guidance.
- The Wellbeing of Future Generations Act, trying to improve how ‘A Globally Responsible Wales’ is measured and implemented.
- The International Strategy for Wales, including recommending a specific international development strategy.