The Peace Schools Scheme for Wales pilot has been hugely successful and praised by the Welsh Government. It encourages skills for implementing the New Welsh Curriculum and is a key marker for the Wellbeing of Future Generations Act. It has been highlighted in the UK SDGs Report to the UN for contributing to Sustainable Development Goal SDG4, Quality Education.
I was inspired by the Peace Schools idea, and it fits ideally with the work on critical thinking we wanted to do as a school. It is super for a cross curriculum project – across History, Geography and Maths, we looked at the Syrian conflict from different angles. History teacher, Ysgol Dyffryn Aman
Peace Schools set their own goals and plan, but elements of a ‘peace school’ may include:
- exploring and sharing Wales’ peace heritage through piloting curriculum materials linked to the stories of individuals and groups who have promoted peace in Wales, or through critically examining the impact of war on communities;
- participating in project activities, such as WCIA’s annual Peace Schools Conference or Young Peacemakers Awards;
- involving learners in producing and signing up to a whole-school statement reflecting a commitment to peace;
- creating a warm and welcoming community built on listening, understanding and respect;
- developing the skills and attitudes necessary for critical thinking and respectful discussion through initiatives such as Philosophy for Children;
- developing whole-school practices which promote respectful and harmonious communities, such as peer support and mediation.
Learners, staff and parents all agree that the whole school is happier, more tolerant and more respectful. Tracey Griffith, Assistant Head, Cyfarthfa High School, Merthyr Tydfil.
What Support is Available?
A full set of resources (below, many available through WCIA Wales for Peace on Hwb ) have been created to help teachers and learners work through what it means to be a Peace School
Would you like to be part of this exciting scheme? If so, contact Peace Schools Coordinator Jane Harries – firstname.lastname@example.org